By James N. Rosenau
James N. Rosenau explores the big adjustments which are at present remodeling global affairs. He argues that the dynamics of monetary globalization, new applied sciences, and evolving worldwide norms are clashing with both robust localizing dynamics. The ensuing encounters among varied pursuits and actors are rendering household and international affairs ever extra porous and making a political house, special because the "Frontier," in which the search for keep an eye on in international politics is joined. He contends that it's alongside the Frontier, and never within the foreign enviornment, that concerns are contested and the process occasions configured.
Read or Download Along the Domestic-Foreign Frontier: Exploring Governance in a Turbulent World PDF
Similar international relations books
In recent times, the position of faith within the research and behavior of foreign affairs has develop into more and more vital. The essays during this quantity search to query and treatment the tricky overlook of faith in extant scholarship, grappling with puzzles, matters, and questions bearing on faith and global affairs in six significant parts.
There's little systematic research to be had of Britain's contribution to East-West family when you consider that 1945, and specifically of Britain's contribution to East-West detente. mostly, British makes an attempt to behave as mediator among East and West were considered as ineffectual, and a slightly determined try and end up that Britain may well nonetheless wield effect at the international level.
This ebook examines the reasons and results of the concern in Atlantic kinfolk that observed the invasion of Iraq in March 2003. A dstinguished staff of political scientists and historians from Europe and the U.S. tackles those matters. The authors' collective concentration isn't really at the battle itself, or the way it was once performed, or maybe the location in Iraq both earlier than or after the clash.
Why, regardless of their related pursuits, do the coverage personal tastes of the ecu Union and usa diverge on such a lot of multilateral matters? to reply to that question, Allies at Odds? completely examines fresh foreign efforts in fingers regulate, environmental safeguard, human rights, and armed forces cooperation.
- Introduction to International Politics
- International Law and International Relations: Bridging Theory and Practice (Contemporary Security Studies)
- Crises in U.S. Foreign Policy: An International History Reader
- Endless War?: Hidden Functions of the "War on Terror"
- Languages in a Globalising World
Additional resources for Along the Domestic-Foreign Frontier: Exploring Governance in a Turbulent World
7. 19 Along the domestic-foreign Frontier instances been so lessened by the transfer of capital to their cheap labor markets as to raise the question of exactly who is dependent on whom; that the advent of nuclear weapons has so fully transformed the readiness of political leaders of major countries to advocate, much less use, military force that the role of power in interstate relations has largely become an instrument of economic rather than military statecraft; that although states do indeed possess attributes of power, its distribution among them has been so decentralized as to diminish - and in some instances eliminate - the hierarchical structures of world politics; that not only have new patterns of economic interaction among societies evolved, but for all practical purposes these are no longer managed by national states; that not only have relationships between the public and private sectors of most societies been altered, but in fact the "basic authority" of governments has been so depleted in many parts of the world as to result in stalemated and paralyzed political systems; and that while foreign policy still designates the efforts of societies to maintain a modicum of control over their external environments, new global interdependence issues such as pollution, currency crises, AIDS, and the drug trade have so profoundly changed the tasks and goals of foreign policy officials as to make for differences in kind rather than degree.
Michael Heim, The Metaphysics of Virtual Reality (New York: Oxford University Press, 1993), p. xiii. 1. Two waning worldviews and an emergent worldview Ontologies Paradigms Theories Worldviews Unit boundaries Main units Main issues Parameters Key variables (A) Realism Firm States Security Actors seek relative gains in confrontational anarchic structures Relative power (B) Liberalism Firm States Economic Actors seek absolute gains in cooperative anarchic structures Overlapping unit-level preferences (C) Fragmegration Porous Diverse actors Diverse issues Citizen skills Authority relations Structural bifurcation Turbulence Along the domestic-foreign Frontier which these goals are pursued, those of the emergent paradigm focus, respectively, on the skills of citizens, the authority relationships between them and their collectivities, and the overall structure of the global system.
Consider, for example, the following paragraph: There is no doubt that international politics is quite different, in almost all dimensions, than it has been, or than it will be. It is evolving under the influence of technological advance perhaps faster than ever before. The more telling observation, however, is the persistence and adaptability of traditional concepts in the face of rapid evolution. 8 It is a beguiling paragraph. In each of the seven assertions set forth in the last sentence Skolnikoff admits to the presence of change but quickly negates the admission by claiming the change is not so thoroughgoing as to prevent the attachment of well-worn descriptors.
Along the Domestic-Foreign Frontier: Exploring Governance in a Turbulent World by James N. Rosenau